Book Place Donation Guidelines
Friends of the Marin County Free Library
We are requesting that donors NOT bring in any hardcover Mysteries at this time, unless they are very recent (2016-2017). After we catch up, we'll again be taking them. Thanks for your understanding.
We gratefully accept gently used books, movies and CD music. Please refer to the list below of items we cannot accept. Unacceptable materials may be refused. We have limited volunteer labor to sort resellable materials to fund critical library programs and needs.
- Please call ahead to ensure we have room for your donation. Our number is 415.209.0212. If we cannot take the whole donation at once, maybe bringing a few at a time would work.
- 4–5 boxes/bags at a time are accepted during open hours. Larger donations accepted only on Wednesdays and Saturdays, after calling first.
- Please do NOT leave donations outside the doors when we are closed. The weather may damage your donation, resulting in our disposal.
We cannot accept:
- Moldy, worn, or torn/chewed books with bad covers and yellowed pages, underlining or highlighting, items smelling of cigarette/cigars, or water-damaged, stained books
- National Geographic magazines
- Time-Life book sets and incomplete sets of any type
- Encyclopedia sets unless very old (pre-1940); must be complete
- Readers’ Digest Condensed books, Advanced Readers’ Copies
- Travel guides, computer books, business, medical/health books older than FIVE years
- Vinyl records/music on cassette, instructional material CD/cassettes such as business, real estate, or self-help seminar materials
- Audiobooks with missing cassettes/CDs
- Journals, scrapbooks, puzzles, greeting cards or stationery
- Children’s classroom textbooks/teacher guides, etc. These should go to the Global Book Exchange in San Rafael.
We try very hard to offer higher-quality materials for purchase. Therefore, if your donation includes any of the above, please consider recycling in your home’s blue bin, or taking them to a recycling center.